Skip to content

Grain Free Raspberry Muffins

August 25, 2012

I don’t really know what to say. Here I am, the whole grain baker, making muffins without any grains at all. What’s happened? No wheat, no rye, no millet? Well, let’s just say I’m trying something. I’m not sure yet how far it will go, but I like a challenge, especially a baking challenge, and baking without grains is undoubtedly tricky.

Besides, whether it’s with grains or seeds or nuts, what I’ve really wanted all of you to do is branch out beyond your basic all-purpose flour. That stuff is just bleached and boring. There are so many more options, ones that actually lend flavor and unique textures. I love the natural sweetness of coconut flour and the lovely crumbly nature of almond meal. Of course, what’s really important here is that these Grain Free Raspberry Muffins are delicious. So branch out of the A/P rut if you haven’t yet. You won’t be disappointed.

Grain Free Raspberry Muffins

• 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 banana, completely mashed
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line or grease a standard muffin pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl, sift together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt, then add the grated nutmeg.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except the berries. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Gently fold in the berries.
  4. Scoop the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!

About these ads
8 Comments leave one →
  1. August 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Coconut flour?! I’m not even sure I’ve heard of it before but I do love coconut so the search is on. These sound completely delicious!

• August 25, 2012 2:50 pm

You can find it a natural food stores such as Whole Foods, or you can order it online. Give it a try!

2. August 25, 2012 4:06 pm

It’s so fun to try something new, especially when it works out! These look delicious!

3. August 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Gorgeous photos! Beautiful blog. Thanks for sharing!

4. lastay permalink
    August 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Love that recipe i am going to try it

5. Edie permalink
    August 28, 2012 8:59 am

These look so yummy! Dairy and wheat free is so healthy. Wonderful tasting too.

6. August 28, 2012 10:52 pm

oh my!! I have to try this. I’ve used almond flour in the past, yet not coconut flour. My girlfriend who’s a nutritionist has been telling me about coconut flour for a while. I bake a bit especially when the weather gets cooler – pound, lemon and chocolate cakes; crisps; carrot souffle; so I’ve switched out the all-purpose & whole wheat flour for oat, rice and almond flour. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

7. Molly permalink
    March 5, 2013 1:01 am

Found this googling for some grain-free muffins, they look delicious, cannot wait to try them!